By Professor Mark Z. Jacobson
This re-creation of Mark Jacobson's textbook presents a entire creation to the background and technology of the foremost pollution and weather difficulties that face the area this present day, in addition to the power and coverage suggestions to these difficulties. each bankruptcy has been introduced thoroughly updated with new info, figures, and textual content. there's a new extra bankruptcy on large-scale strategies to weather and pollution difficulties. Many extra colour pictures and diagrams and plenty of extra examples and homework difficulties were additional. this can be a terrific introductory textbook on pollution for college kids taking classes in atmospheric chemistry and physics, meteorology, environmental technological know-how, Earth technology, civil and environmental engineering, chemistry, environmental legislation and politics, and town making plans and rules. it's going to additionally shape a invaluable reference textual content for researchers, and an advent to the topic for common audiences.
Read or Download Air Pollution and Global Warming: History, Science, and Solutions PDF
Best pollution books
Maverick environmental writers William J. Kelly and Chip Jacobs persist with up their acclaimed Smogtown with a provocative exam of China's ecological calamity already imperiling a warming planet. poisonous smog most folks figured used to be out of date needlessly kills as many there because the Sep 11 assaults each day, whereas occasionally Grand Canyon-sized drifts of business debris aloft at the winds rain down ozone and waterway-poisoning mercury in the United States.
As a pioneer of organic wastewater therapy, MacKinney (emeritus, U. of Kansas, Lawrence) characterizes this replace of his vintage Microbiology for Sanitary Engineers (1962) as a summation of the data he has came upon necessary as a practitioner instead of as a complete textbook within the swiftly evolving box of environmental pollutants keep watch over.
An annual evaluation of actions via governmental and non-governmental agencies bearing on treatments for international toxins, including clinical and technical reviews containing surveys of toxins within the maritime setting.
This quantity is targeted on solar-to-fuel conversion utilizing algae and cyanobacteria for complicated iteration biofuels. creation of biofuels must depend upon affordable and renewable assets, with a view to be economically achievable and environmentally sustainable within the long-term. solar power is an plentiful and renewable source, and methods for solar-to-fuel conversion have the aptitude to maintain our power calls for within the long-term and to be carbon-dioxide impartial.
- Air Pollution and Plant Biotechnology: Prospects for Phytomonitoring and Phytoremediation
- Metal Pollution in the Aquatic Environment
- Pesticide Residues in Food and Drinking Water: Human Exposure and Risks
- Plutonium and the Rio Grande: Environmental Change and Contamination in the Nuclear Age
- Arsenic pollution: a global synthesis
- Air Pollution Effects on Biodiversity
Additional resources for Air Pollution and Global Warming: History, Science, and Solutions
3. Describe one experiment you could devise to isolate molecular oxygen. 4. What was the fundamental flaw with the theory of phlogiston? 5. Why did Lavoisier name oxygen as he did? Was his definition correct? Why or why not? 6. Is a termolecular combination reaction the result of the collision of three molecules simultaneously? Why or why not? 7. If the chemical e-folding lifetimes of the harmless substances A, B, and C are 1 hour, 1 week, and 1 year, respectively, and all three substances produce harmful products when they break down, which substance would you prefer to eliminate from urban air first?
Nitrogen dioxide may have been previously observed by Bernardo Ramazzini (1633–1714), an Italian medical doctor and early pioneer in industrial medicine, and ammonia was previously observed by Van Helmont and Black. Priestley also discovered carbon monoxide [CO(g)], and, in 1775, sulfur dioxide [SO2 (g), “vitriolic acid air”]. Additionally, he formed gas-phase nitric acid [HNO3 (g)], although Cavendish uncovered its composition. Today, NO(g), NO2 (g), CO(g), N2 O(g), and SO2 (g) are emitted significantly during fossil fuel, biofuel, and biomass burning.